Friday, March 2, 2012

Tray

Today is a hard day. Yesterday, a friend so full of life and potential, had his life cut short by someone who wasn't paying attention. I am saddened by the loss of a friend and left with the feeling of shock and confusion that seem to reign when the unexpected permiates my world. I am comforted however, in the fact that Tray did pay attention.
He paid attention to his family. The Vickerys are one of the closest families I know. They have been such a help to our church and community because they are the people who are always striving to help others, know others, and obey God's will in their lives. They have also sought to know each other. They love each other for all the quirks, flaws, and gifts each one possesses. I am comforted in the fact that Tray both loved fiercely and was fiercely loved.
Tray also paid attention to his God. I was blessed to get to go on mission trips to the Dominican Republic with Tray. He loved working with the kids we went to serve. On several occasions I would look over and see Tray bent down to talk to a child, or pick one up to bring them to his level. He, in the example of Christ, seemed to get down on people's level, or bring them up to his, to talk to them. He bridged the gap and covered the distance to reach the people who needed him. I was blessed to get to see him working to be the hands and feet of the God he loved and served.
Tray paid attention to his community. His family has taken to saying that he was "everyone's Tray" and he was. I don't know that I ever really saw Tray alone. He was always surrounded by family and friends. He loved people of all ages, and took true enjoyment in being part of the picture. He helped where help was needed, brought laughter to those who needed joy, and was a true friend to many. He looked at and listened to the world around him and actively took part.
I am sad today. I will be sad tomorrow. I lost a friend, but I know that my friend is with my God. My friend is happy and whole and complete. My friend will never know the pain of loss, the sting of defeat, or the ache of lonliness again. So, while Tray will be dearly missed, I can rejoice in the fact that while here, he lived in a way that impacted others. He made a difference. Don't we all want the same to be said of us? I'm going to take a leaf from Tray's book and start paying more attention to the things that matter and letting all the rest of the insignificant mess go. May we all be able to live a little more like Tray in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment