Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thankfulness

Today was Thanksgiving. It is a day that most spend surrounded by family or friends at a table filled with great food, laughter, and shared memories and experience. My girls are a little different. They spend holidays like today longing for the family they are no longer with, or dreaming of the family they could have. It is hard to have a staff and not a mom today. I can try my hardest, but I am always only Miss Amy. Some days that distinction doesn't hit very hard, but I was expecting it to hit home today.
For one it was the day I expected it to be. She pushed back and was overcome by big emotions. Her day was spent ranting and railing against people who aren't within reach, striking out instead at the ones who did show up today. It is hard to be hard on those behaviors when behind the defiance is an abandoned child. I had to look at the defiance at face value and make sure that, even though she was hurting, we didn't undo so many weeks of hard work by coddling a tantrum. That is a hard line and I had to tap out at some points. I am thankful for the team I have behind me that can come in and take over when I need to step away.
For a few of them, it was a normal day with more food. They played normally, and helped around the unit with daily tasks. At lunch it was fun to watch them pick what they wanted to eat instead of being given a plate of food that has already been made for them. They get little choice in this life of theirs, so seeing them realize they could have seconds or just eat mashed potatoes and green bean cassarole was hilarious. They would walk over to the dishes and raise the serving spoon like someone was going to tell them no. I assured them over and over it was fine and they could eat whatever they wanted as long as they were't going to pop from eating too much.
One of my little ones though,  was my shining moment today. She struggles even listening to Christmas music because she cries and wants to go home. I was worried about her today, but she watched the parade without issue and then came the big test of eating our Thanksgiving feast. She was talking and laughing with the rest of them. I remained worried about her until a little bit later when she was riding her bike around outside. She had a soft smile on her head and her bike helmet was slightly askew. I went over to her to help her fix it and heard her singing a little song under her breath. As i got closer I could make out the words. She was singing "Pecan pie, pecan pie, we are gonna eat pecan pie. Yummy yummy pecan pie." I fixed her helmet and watched her ride around still singing her little song. When we went inside and she actually got the pie she did a little dance and said "Miss today is my favorite." I asked what about the day was her favorite and she told me "I am all full and happy"
Well folks, that did it. That is what I am thankful for. I am thankful that a child got to be a child and for a happy pecan pie dance and song. Life may be hard, and there is a huge obstacle in front of them, but today, she was happy and I am thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment